Talked briefly with a crafty friend at work whose process seems to be similar to mine...
When I begin a project, it usually takes on a life of its own before completion. I believe the term I have seen used is "the muse takes over."
- I start with an idea in mind
- I carefully gather the materials I think I will need
- And begin.
- But, wait.... don't I have a great "so and so" in my supplies that would go perfectly with these __________ (fill in the blank: colors, brads, beads, papers, etc.)
- Once I find those "perfect" items, my imagined project takes off in a whole new direction.
- And so on until it is complete.
My finished item barely resembles the sketch (either on paper or mental) that I started with.
I used to get bothered by the changing plan, but have since just tried to "follow the muse to whererver she takes me at the time" and have become more happy creatively.
So..... back to my post title:
WHAT DOES YOUR CREATIVE PROCESS LOOK LIKE?
- Are you happy with it
- Does it produce satisfying results?