Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sewing on Canvas

Happy New Year! I have been working on many projects lately, but just had to share this piece I finished on canvas paper. The background paints are what was left on my brush and on the palette when working on a set of swap pages for Arttechniques. As I worked I had several canvas papers handy and slapped leftover paint onto them and used my punchinella (sequin waste? not sure exactly what it is called) for accents. Inspired by Traci Bautista's book Collage Unleashed I wanted to freehand sew a flower (I love hers!) so I just grabbed this canvas and started. I used a dark green for the stem, leaves, and flower petals. Added some purple tufts of grass at the base and then changed to white for the stamen-like stems between each petal. I call this my Star Flower Canvas and I am pleased with the way it came out.
The canvas:

Close up of the flower: